NOVEMBER 11, 2001
The meeting was called to order by President Fred Bieber at 10:18 a.m. The following members were present and constituted a quorum:
Fred Bieber, Steve Ballentine, Roban Benich,
Cathy Gaskins, Danny Plummer, John Freed (Piedmont Vice
Commissioner), Bob Brantley, Michael Cook, Barry Bynum, Mary Bynum, Ralph Arrington,
Board members not in attendance but excused: Joey Mouton, Madelyn Carter, and Mike Branham.
Guests: Nancy Shultz, Employee of SCYSA
Minutes from the September teleconference were tabled until the secretary is present.
· Tentative arrangements have been made for the Girl’s ODP to travel to Germany
· Discussed mediation with Columbia Soccer Association Coach and Summerville Tournament Director. Coach suspended and place on 6 month probation; Tournament Director fined and placed on probation.
· Risk management forms are completed
· Background checks are being done – risk management committee is working on this.
· There are no hearings or appeals.
· Newsletter deadline is December 1 (except Cups & Games).
· Region II has requested digital pictures for our State Cup tournament
· Lance Chapel will head Region III Premier League
· Discussed who will handle the Region III Premier League for South Carolina
· Handout on Statewide League – suggested discussion to take place at planning meeting in January
· Discussed seeding for teams involved in the Premier League, Statewide League, and local leagues – further feedback requested for January meeting.
· Fred directed the District Commissioners to poll coaches at their coaches meeting for the 1st Round of State Cup regarding their feelings about the Statewide League
· Handout of the 2001 Fall Cup teams
BARRY MADE A MOTION TO ACCEPT THE ARTWORK SUBMITTED FOR THE T-SHIRT DESIGN FOR STATE CUP. BOB SECONDED THE MOTION.
The motion carried 9 for 2 against.
· Discussed possibility of Friday night games – number of lighted fields will determine.
· We will be using fields at Ballentine, Crooked Creek and Irmo at a minimum for State Cup.
Secretary’s Report: Mike Branham (absent excused)
Treasurer’s Report: Joey Mouton (absent excused)
· SCYSA Report handed out
· Discussed player numbers
· 13,788 registered players
· Discussed sign in procedures
· 32 teams participating in the 1st Round of State Cup
· Reorganized district is stabilized and working well
· Spartanburg Recreation League may be up and running for spring, definitely in the fall.
· 49 teams participating in the 1st Round of State Cup
· 1st Round will take place in Hartsville
· 29 teams participating in the 1st Round of State Cup (only 18 actually playing)
· 6 teams are not playing in 1st Round – 4 of which are girl’s teams
· 1st Round will take place in Summerville
· Discussed Vice Commissioners attending State Cup so they can learn what Commissioners duties are if help is needed. At this time no extra personnel are needed.
· 267 participating
· Everybody practices as a group at Hartsville – same time, same place so there will always be groups for players and coaches to work with.
· 210 participating
· State Trials – Camden
· Interstate Games – Fayetteville, NC (possibly 9 or 10 teams)
· Brenda Down sponsored a team at Foothills Premier Soccer Club that is coached by Doug Gaddis. She also gave a $1000 check to SCYSA for TOPSoccer. Brenda is the Virginia State Registrar and a good friend to soccer.
· SCYSA will purchase a plaque and send a letter of thanks to Brenda.
· Fred asked questions regarding club coaches coaching ODP teams. Our rules say there should be at least 2 years differential or girl’s coaches’ coach boy’s teams and visa versa. We need to make sure we do not have a conflict
State Select Team Coaches for Boys:
88 – Collette
87 – Tormey
86 – Shelley
85 – Marty Beal
State Select Team Coaches for Girls:
89 – Dempsey
88 – Purcell
87 – Sugden (Reyes)
86 – Terrell
85 – Narian
· Discussed Dave Simeone coming to South Carolina. His job is to identify players not in the ODP program that should be.
· Problems occurred when his trip became a tournament with Elliott Perkins involved even though he is not a registered SCYSA Coach. Fred discussed this with Dan Flynn and others. They were appreciative of South Carolina letting them know of the problems that occurred.
· Directed Michael Cook to further look into this event to what actually occurred. Michael asked for copies of all paperwork, fees, rosters, and input from anyone who actually talked or worked with this event to see if further action should be taken.
Member at Large Report: Bob Brantley
· Handed out an article on Cheating
· Passed around ad regarding a Unity Sports Team being recognized for sportsmanship
· Passed around sample of stickers
Rules and Compliance Report: Michael Cook
· Surprised at the number of coaches who contacted him after receiving notification regarding the red card tracking form.
· Discussed mandatory coaches meeting as a possibility – will further discuss in January meeting.
State Youth Recreation Director’s Report: Terry Gordon
· Talking with Recreation Committee; Gina Bielby – Piedmont, Rick Slott – Coastal, and Jim Marcrzesky – Midstate. Holding meeting directly after BOD Meeting.
· Very little response to survey.
· Discussed fee increase. No increase at this time, look at other ways of raising money to offset US Youth Soccer fee increase.
· Risk Management Meeting following BOD meeting.
RALPH MADE A MOTION TO ADJOURN AT 2:50 P.M. STEVE SECONDED THE MOTION.
The motion passed unanimously.