SOUTH CAROLINA YOUTH SOCCER ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
August 3, 2002
The meeting was called to order by President Fred Bieber at 4:20 p.m. The following members were present and constituted a quorum: Fred Bieber, Steve Ballentine, Cathy Ballentine, Joey Mouton, Roban Benich, Madelyn Carter, Danny Plummer, Mary Bynum, Bob Brantley, Barry Bynum, Terry Gordon, and Ronnie Lattimore.
Board Members not in attendance but excused: Michael Cook, Ralph Arrington
Guests in attendance: Nancy Shultz, SCYSA Administrative Assistant; Van Taylor, SCYSA Director of Coaching Development and Player Education; Dawn Anderson, Vice Commissioner Coastal District Board; and Michelle Lattimore, Treasurer, Coastal District Board.
Motion: Bob made a motion to accept the minutes of the March 17 Board of Directors Meeting (conducted by teleconference). Motion seconded by Barry. Motion carried unanimously.
Motion: Steve motioned to accept the minutes from the June 9th BOD meeting. Motion seconded by Mary. Motion carried unanimously.
· Offered thanks and support for the year’s work in organizing the Annual President’s Meeting. Kudos to Cathy for her efforts.
· Fred requested that items requiring discussion at Board of Directors meetings be identified in advance of the meeting. Also noted to the Secretary that minutes (and meetings) should follow accepted format and the necessity of making BOD minutes available for approval in a timely fashion.
· Discussion of approving sponsorship contract with Pepsi. Still in review by Office Committee; recommendation forthcoming.
VICE-PRESIDENT’S REPORT: Steve
· Offered congratulations and thanks for a successful Annual Meeting. In the interest of continual improvement, Steve asked feedback on the format and workings of the meeting.
· It was noted that another SCYSA Newsletter was due in September – deadline for articles is August 20th.
· Discussion of SCYSA-provided insurance followed. Contract renewal is under negotiation but State is facing increases if existing level of coverage ($250 deductible (out-of-pocket expense), two-year medical treatment period). Options to mitigate rate increases were discussed including reducing treatment period to one year (98% of all treatments are completed within twelve months) and increasing the deductible.
Motion: Steve made a motion to increase the deductible to $500 and limit the treatment period to one-year. Barry seconded the motion. Motion carried 10 for, 1 against.
CUPS AND GAMES REPORT: Barry
· Barry noted an instance where an SCYSA team had requested placement in the Region III Premier League despite not finishing first, second or third at State Cup (actual placement was fourth). The opening was created when Tennessee failed to have two qualifying teams apply to the League. The third-place team has been notified about the elective League opening and wants in. By rule, the fourth-place team cannot be considered for Premier League Play .
Motion: Barry motioned that the current, fourth-place applicant be dismissed from consideration for the League, thus opening the position for the third-place team. Joey seconded. Motion carried unanimously.
· Discussion ensued about team make-up for those teams seeking entry into the Region III Premier League. Barry indicated he would contact each team interested in applying for the League and identify that teams are required to retain 60% of their roster from the previous year’s State Cup for entry into the League.
TREASURY REPORT: Joey
· No report given as State financial records are still being audited.
· Noted that all girls’ ODP coaches fees have been paid and boys’ ODP coaches fees are close to completion.
· Thanked Nancy Shultz for her help with the Association’s Property Inventory.
· No report provided
PIEDMONT DISTRICT: Madelyn
· Constitution and by-laws from two new Piedmont clubs (St Margaret's and Cherokee County).
· Thanks offered to SCYSA from John Cooper, ODP State Select ‘84 for Association’s support in his trip to Trinidad and Tobago.
MIDSTATE DISTRICT: Danny
· No report offered.
· Midstate has identified a candidate to fill the Secretary position on their Council.
COASTAL DISTRICT: Cathy
· Hilton Head-Bluffton has two, possibly three, rec teams who wish to play in the Coastal Georgia Soccer Association. HHB teams have played there previously. Cathy will know if the teams have formed in about three weeks. Action on the request will follow.
· Requested thought be given to finding ways to recruit young (micro) players from YMCAs and Recreation Departments into SCYSA. Association offers superior product but expense ($8.00 per player) has been cited as being too expensive for those entities.
BOYS ODP: Absent, Excused
GIRLS ODP: Mary
· SC Girls did well at Regional Camp.
· Offered thanks to SCYSA for their support of ODP girls’ trip to Germany – it was the trip of a lifetime.
· Was meeting with Billy Tooley, (Northside Soccer which currently has twelve teams playing in Charlotte, NC) about the establishment of a local league. Northside, Tega Cay, York, Lancaster, Clover, Fort Mill, & others are interested in forming a local league in SCYSA.
RULES AND COMPLIANCE: Absent, Excused
STATE YOUTH RECREATION DIRECTOR: Terry
· 35+ recreation coaches attended the USYSA coaching module administered by Van Taylor. Thanks to Van for conducting the session.
· Nancy and Roban were asked to produce “team lists” and player passes for rec players participating in Greenville County League and in-house program at NECSA. Materials requested by 1 October. Purpose of list and passes is to prevent continual moving of players from team-to-team during the season.
· TOP Soccer. Terry was concerned about a total lack of communication regarding TOP Soccer. Fred will contact the individual currently holding the Coordinator position to verify their interest – if the individual no longer interested in coordinating TOP Soccer, the Association will find a replacement.
DIRECTOR OF COACHING DEVELOPMENT AND PLAYER EDUCATION: Van
· No report.
SCYSA ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT: Nancy
· No report.
MODIFICATION TO THE CONSTITUTION, RULES, AND BYLAWS:
BOARD OF DIRECTORS ELECTIONS, 2002-2003:
· SCYSA Cups and Games Director – Barry Bynum by acclamation and unanimous consent
· Boys State Select Administrator - Dawn Anderson by acclamation and unanimous consent
· State Youth Recreation Director - Terry Gordon and Doug Gaddis
Doug Gaddis was elected Youth Recreation Director.
· There was no new business.
MOTION: Barry motioned for adjournment. Bob seconded. The motion passed unanimously and the meeting was adjourned at approximately 7:25 PM.